John represents closely-held business, their owners, individuals, and their families involving taxation, estate planning, probate and estate administration, wills and trusts, and business succession planning. John has worked with clients to:
- Prepare last wills and testaments, trust agreements, advance medical directives, and powers of attorney;
- Administer estates and trusts;
- Negotiate with the Internal Revenue Service;
- Plan for optimal tax treatment; and
- Form and manage businesses.
Prior to joining Rees Broome, John spent three years at Alvarez & Marsal in Washington, D.C., concentrating his practice on state and local, federal, and international tax compliance and consulting for individuals and businesses. He then joined Ritzert & Leyton, PC (now known as Gombos Leyton, PC), where he began to focus his practice on estate planning and administration and tax planning and controversy.
In addition to being licensed as an attorney in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia, John holds credentials as a Certified Public Accountant and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™. It is with this background that John approaches all of his clients’ needs, from a multifaceted approach that allows him to view their situations from a variety of different perspectives.
When John is not working with clients at Rees Broome, he is serving as a JAG Officer with the West Virginia Air National Guard, 130th Airlift Wing, based in Charleston, West Virginia. He enjoys serving his fellow airman with their estate planning and other needs, enabling him to broaden the scope of his law practice while serving his country.
John is also a former Adjunct Professor of Accounting at Northern Virginia Community College, where he enjoyed teaching his students federal income taxation. Additionally, John is a former Co-Chair of the Tax Section of the Fairfax Bar Association, among many leadership positions he has held in the community.
- B.A., Government, The College of William and Mary
- J.D., The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
- LL.M. (Taxation), With Distinction, Georgetown University Law Center
- Admitted to practice law in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia
- Admitted to the bars of the U.S. Tax Court, the U.S. Supreme Court, and other federal courts
- CPA in Virginia
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Intern, Judge Natalia Combs-Greene, District of Columbia Superior Court
- Vice Chancellor, Catholic University of America Moot Court Board
- Member, Catholic University of America National Trial Team
- Member, Journal of Contemporary Health Law and Policy
News & Publications
- Featured in a two-part series discussion on estate tax exemption on the Probate Nation Show which aired on Fairfax Public Television, July 2021
- Offers in Compromise, Fact vs. Fiction, Presented to the Virginia Society of CPAs, Northern Chapter, May 2020
- Member of the Board of Directors, NOVA Foundation
- Member of the Character Committee, Maryland Court of Appeals, 7th Judicial Circuit
- JAG Officer, West Virginia Air National Guard, 130th Airlift Wing
- Member, Fairfax Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Tax Section (2019-2020)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Young Lawyers Section (2017-2019)
- Alumni Council, The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law (2020-Present)
- Northern Chapter, Virginia Society of CPAs
- Co-Chair, Professional Development Conference, Young Lawyers Conference, Virginia State Bar (Tysons – 2017)
- Active member of the Knights of Columbus Council 8600, Fairfax Station, VA
- Fairfax County Elections Officer
- Recipient of ABA’s Legal Assistance for Military Personnel - Outstanding Legal Assistance Student Award, 2021
- Recipient of Virginia State Bar’s Significant Service Award, June 2018