Kathleen Machado represents community association clients, including condominiums and homeowners associations located in the District of Columbia and Virginia. She has experience in working with declarant-controlled associations, as well as more established associations which have made the transition to owner-control.
Kathleen has assisted her community association clients by:
• Representing them in collections efforts against delinquent owners, including extensive General District Court litigation in Stafford, Spotsylvania, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William County, Virginia.
• Coordinating, monitoring and preparing recommendations and documentation related to covenant enforcement actions
• Providing counsel regarding interpretations of legal documents, in accordance with applicable state, local and federal law
• Preparing and amending legal documents, including Articles of Incorporation, Declarations, Bylaws and Policy Resolutions
• Obtaining certifications for eligibility for Federal Housing Administration financing
• Attending and assisting in the conduct of Annual and Board of Director meetings
• Conducting Board of Director training
• Reviewing, negotiating and revising contracts, easement agreements and settlement agreements
Kathleen has been successful in defending an association client in General District Court litigation regarding alleged violations of the Association’s legal documents. Kathleen has also achieved success by dramatically reducing the delinquency rates for many of her collections clients by implementing cost-effective collections strategies and closely coordinating such efforts with her clients’ Boards of Directors, as well as management agents.
Prior Experience: Underwriting Counsel, Total Settlement Solutions
News & Publications
Articles and Presentations
• “Speaker, Community Association Institute Live Webinar, October 6, 2022, “You’ve Been Burned, Post-Pandemic Behavioral and Business Trends Leading to Burn Out in the Community Association World”
• Speaker, Educational Session Webinar, Hosted By Rees Broome, PC, October 2021, “Meet the Ombudsman Roundtable”
• Speaker: Community Association Institute Live Webinar, October 5, 2021, “How to Win in a No-Win Situation, Board Member and Manager Tactics”
• Speaker: Live Broadcast of Your Community, You’re Connected Television Program, May 2021 -“Association Communication”
• Speaker, Educational Webinar Session, Hosted by Cardinal Management Group, Inc., January 2021, “Smoking and Other Odor Issues Facing Community Associations”
• Speaker, Educational Virtual Lunch and Learn Session, Hosted by NV Roofing, May 2020, “COVID-19 and Effects on Property Management Industry”
• Speaker, Educational Live Session, Community Association Institute Conference and Expo, February 2020, “Transparency Traps, How to Rule Social Media and Not Let It Rule You”
• “The Challenges of Building & Litigating a Short-Term Rental Covenants Enforcement Case”, Quorum Magazine, July 2019.
• “Charting the Course - How to Draft a Great Committee Charter” (December 2013 - Quorum Magazine)
• Speaker: Community Association Institute, Annual Conference and Expo, March 2013 - "Board Member Burn Out"
• “Board Member Burn Out” (November 2012 Quorum Magazine)
• “Complaints and Owner-to-Owner Dispute Resolution,” seminar co-hosted with Sentry Management
*All Quorum Magazine articles have been reprinted by permission of Washington Metropolitan Chapter Community Associations Institute.
Member, Community Associations Institute, Washington Metropolitan Chapter